Sunday, November 16, 2008

Let's Get Fresh!









Yes, it was market day today! After weeks of watching Don Pedro on my favorite morning news show (Arriba, Bogota) give the morning updates surrounded by fresh fruits and veggies, I finally visited the promise land: Plaza de Mercado de Paloquemao.

Stop #1: Flower Stands

The intense fragrance, the vibrant colors, and the ever so friendly vendors (yes, many thought we were from exotic lands like France and Australia) invigorated the senses. I have never seen such an extraordinary display...in a parking lot. It was great. And, just when you thought it couldn't get any better, the prices were amazing. I purchased 2 dozens sweetheart roses for $1.00.

Stop #2: Food Stands
One step inside the main market and I was overcome with an overwhelming urge to become completely vegetarian. We were surrounded by produce - so fresh, so large, and at such a great price. I can just imagine when the European explorers arrived how confused they must have been. There were fruits and vegetables here that I still hadn't even heard of though I was ever so eager to give them a try. Of course, beyond the produce, a major highlight is that you can actually select your live chicken on site before it is made "ready to cook."

Stop #3: San Andrecito
Next stop was everyone's favorite block of discount retailers. They sell everything from D&G to Puma to High School Musical 3 - yes, I am sure it is a legitimate copy - all at a buen precio! From what they tell me, this spot is only one of many locations with such bargains. Each one focuses on a certain class of product. Here, I sensed more of the electronics field. I think another day we shall venture to the clothing local. Here, the major highlight was the fresh lechon which was actually an entire pig with the head still attached. . .and which tasted divine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It all looks wonderful, and incomparable to anything in my desert neighborhood. If I were a Bogatan (?), I'd do all my shopping there.